Prelaunch: A non-magnetic piezo motor for low-power applications
Features suiting a wide range of applications
The features of the new piezo actuator drive (PAD) are suited for a wide range of applications, for instance applications for health care. Cedric Goueffon, Global Sales Manager at Noliac, explains some of the features that can be used in applications for health care:
- Our customers have asked for specific features of the piezo motor. Common requests are for a non-magnetic and low-power motor that doesn’t require power when holding a position, and we have succeeded in developing a motor satisfying these requirements. The piezo motor has been successfully tested for non-magnetism in a 3T MRI scanner. This means that its function is not affected by the field and that the imaging is not affected by the motor. These are just some of the features that make it unique and very suitable for a wide range of medical applications. This could be for life support, surgery, positioning or other low-power applications.
A list of the main features can be seen below.
A new generation of Noliac’s piezo motor
Noliac’s new generation of the piezo motor is the result of dedicated research and development. Charles Mangeot, Senior R&D Engineer at Noliac, has been leading the development work on the new piezo motor. He explains:
- We have offered our piezo motor technology since 2012. The design of the new generation of the PAD is based on the same basic principle of the piezo actuator drive, but with significant changes. The general design has been improved resulting in a more compact solution with fewer parts. The new generation is fitted with piezo benders supplying the drive motion, and the mechanical parts are now made of non-magnetic materials (PEEK and brass) instead of magnetic metals (stainless steel, steel).
- Non-magnetic, tested in 3T MRI at 20 cm from the centre of the bore
- Open-loop positioning possible
- Continuous speed range (from 0 rpm)
- High dynamics
- Speed independent of load
- High resolution, no backlash
- No power when holding position
- Doesn’t rely on friction
- Wider temperature range than other piezo solutions
- Low profile
- Mechanical interface compatible with standard NEMA size 17
Contact us for further information
If you want to know more about the new piezo motor, please contact us using our Request for Quote form or contact sales.